Rapid Docker on AWS
The fastest way to launch your web application on AWS
As a developer, you want to focus on shipping great experiences to your customers. Therefore, we have designed a fast and easy way to bundle your application into Docker containers and run them on Amazon's worldwide infrastructure in a highly available and scalable manner.
Our learning experience consists of an ebook and online seminar. Prior knowledge of Docker and Amazon Web Services (AWS) is not required.
The solution we present full-fills the following requirements:
- Minimal operational effort and rapid commissioning
- Modern and future-proof
- Secure and cost effective
- Highly available and scalable
What you learn
- Running your web application on AWS with Docker: ECS and Fargate.
- Minimizing downtime with health checks and load balancing: ALB.
- Scaling your web application requires a scalable database: RDS Aurora Serverless.
- Minimizing operational effort with managed services.
- Reducing costs and minimizing paying for idle resources.
- Dockerizing your web application.
- Monitoring and debugging with CloudWatch.
- Securing your web application with HTTPS.
- Leveraging infrastructure as code to automate your stack: AWS CloudFormation.
- Versioning your source code with Git: AWS CodeCommit.
- Deploying your source code and infrastructure continuously: AWS CodeBuild.
About the architecture
When designing the Rapid Docker on AWS architecture, we had one goal in mind: a production-ready infrastructure for everyone.
The main building blocks are: Load Balancing with the Application Load Balancer (ALB), Docker with ECS and Fargate, Database based on Aurora Serverless.
Choose a Learning Experience
People learn in different ways. Get the eBook with examples if you prefer to learn in self-study. Want to learn together with others? Join us for a 4-week online seminar: it won't let you fall behind.
- 4-week author-led online seminar
- Videos and Screencasts
- Small learning group (< 20 seats)
- Weekly Q&A sessions with authors and learning group
- Private discussion board to interact with your cohort
eBook (DRM free PDF, EBUB, MOBI)
Download the free reading sample
- Examples (Apache License 2.0, packaged into a ZIP file)
- Constant updates of eBook and examples
Rapid Docker on AWS guides you through deploying your web application on a highly available, scalable, and cost-effective container-based infrastructure provided by Amazon Web Services (AWS). You will learn to leverage three important DevOps techniques—Docker, continuous deployment, and infrastructure as code—to automate the process of deploying your Docker containers and infrastructure to AWS when changes are committed to your source code repository.
The learning experience introduces an architecture consisting of a load balancer, a container cluster, and a scalable relational database. All used AWS building blocks are fully managed services requiring minimal operational effort. You will learn to scale the whole stack, including the Docker containers, the database, and the load balancer. The architecture minimizes your costs for idle components.
You will learn how to bundle your web application into a Docker image by using a Dockerfile. Furthermore, you'll get access to templates for the cloud infrastructure already defined in code. On top of that, the book ships together with a template for a delivery pipeline, allowing you to deploy your web application as well as the underlying infrastructure after every commit to your source code repository.
The learning experience and templates allow you to dockerize and deploy your web application on a production-ready infrastructure within a day. The templates leverage the CloudFormation modules provided by the open-source project cfn-modules.
In summary, you will get to know the following services in this book: ECS, Fargate, ALB, RDS Aurora Serverless, CloudFormation, CodeCommit, CodeBuild, CloudWatch Logs, and ECR.
Introducing the highly available, scalable, and cost-effective architecture
- Benefits of the architecture
- Overview of the architecture
- Preparing your machine
- Launching the demo infrastructure and application
Dockerizing and spinning up your web application
- Getting started with Docker
- Building the Docker images for your web application
- Testing your web application locally
- Pushing your Docker image to the Amazon ECR registry
- Launching your web application
Mastering the building blocks of the cloud infrastructure
- Managing your stack with infrastructure as code: AWS CloudFormation
- Load-balancing requests to your containers: Amazon ALB
- Managing and running your containers: ECS and Fargate
- Configuring a custom domain name and HTTPS: Route 53 and Certificate Manager
- Storing and querying your data: RDS Aurora Serverless
- Monitoring and debugging: CloudWatch
- Running scheduled jobs (cron) in the background
Deploying your source code and infrastructure continuously
- Versioning your source code with Git: AWS CodeCommit
- Setting up a deployment pipeline: AWS CodeBuild
Which programming languages and frameworks are covered?
We provide examples for typical web applications written in:
- Ruby on Rails
- Python Django
- Java Spring Boot
- Node.js Express
Do you offer a money-back guarantee?
Of course, we are quite confident that our eBook and Seminar will add tons of value to your day to day work. However, if you are not happy with the eBook or seminar, we will refund your order within the first week.
How do you implement Infrastructure as Code?
We use AWS CloudFormation. Doing so allows you to create the required cloud infrastructure within minutes. All examples build on our Open Source modules for CloudFormation: cfn-modules.
How do I purchace a corporate license?
If you want to purchase the eBook or Seminar for a group of colleagues we are happy to offer a corporate license. Please, contact us.
Are you offering on-site workshops as well?
Absolutely, we'd be happy to deliver a workshop getting your team up to speed with Docker on AWS. Please, contact us to discuss the details for an on-site workshop.
Incident Management for Slack
Team up to solve incidents with our chatbot marbot. Never miss a critical alert. Escalate alerts from your AWS infrastructure among your team members. Strong integrations with all parts of your AWS infrastructure: CloudWatch, Elastic Beanstalk, RDS, EC2, ...