Rapid Docker on AWS
Continuous Deployment of your Web Application and Infrastructure as Code.
Rapid Docker on AWS is designed for DevOps engineers and web developers who want to run dockerized web applications on AWS. We lead you with many examples: From dockerizing your application to Continuous Deployment and Infrastructure as Code on AWS. No prior knowledge of Docker and AWS is required.
To the point: the best way to run Docker workloads on AWS
Minimal operational effort: makes use of fully managed cloud services
Ready to use: templates for infrastructure and deployment pipeline
What you will learn
- Running your web application on AWS with Docker: ECS and Fargate.
- Minimizing downtime with health checks and load balancing: ALB.
- Scaling your web application requires a scalable database: RDS Aurora Serverless.
- Minimizing operational effort with managed services.
- Reducing costs and minimizing paying for idle resources.
- Dockerizing your web application (PHP, Ruby, Python, Java, and Node.js).
- Monitoring and debugging with CloudWatch.
- Securing your web application with HTTPS.
- Leveraging infrastructure as code to automate your stack: AWS CloudFormation.
- Versioning your source code with Git: AWS CodeCommit.
- Deploying your source code and infrastructure continuously: AWS CodeBuild.
Become a Docker on AWS professional!
Our book Rapid Docker on AWS is designed for DevOps engineers and web developers who want to run dockerized web applications on AWS. We lead you with many examples: From dockerizing your application to Continuous Deployment and Infrastructure as Code on AWS. No prior knowledge of Docker and AWS is required. Get the first chapter for free!
About Rapid Docker on AWS
Rapid Docker on AWS guides you through deploying your web application on a highly available, scalable, and cost-effective container-based infrastructure provided by Amazon Web Services (AWS). You will learn to leverage three important DevOps techniques—Docker, continuous deployment, and infrastructure as code—to automate the process of deploying your Docker containers and infrastructure to AWS when changes are committed to your source code repository.
Rapid Docker on AWS introduces an architecture consisting of a load balancer, a container cluster, and a scalable relational database. All used AWS building blocks are fully managed services requiring minimal operational effort. You will learn to scale the whole stack, including: the Docker containers, the database, and the load balancer. The architecture minimizes your costs for idle components.
You will learn how to bundle your web application into a Docker image by using a Dockerfile. Furthermore, you'll get access to templates for the cloud infrastructure already defined in code.
On top of that, Rapid Docker on AWS includes a template for a delivery pipeline, allowing you to deploy your web application as well as the underlying infrastructure after every commit to your source code repository.
Rapid Docker on AWS and the templates allow you to dockerize and deploy your web application (PHP, Ruby, Python, Java, and Node.js) on a production-ready infrastructure within a day. The templates leverage the CloudFormation modules provided by the open-source project cfn-modules.
In summary, you will get to know the following services: ECS, Fargate, ALB, RDS Aurora Serverless, CloudFormation, CodeCommit, CodePipeline, CodeBuild, CloudWatch Logs, and ECR.
Table of Contents
Introducing the highly available, scalable, and cost-effective architecture
- Benefits of the architecture
- Overview of the architecture
- Preparing your machine
- Launching the demo infrastructure and application
Dockerizing and spinning up your web application
- Getting started with Docker
- Building the Docker images for your web application
- Testing your web application locally
- Pushing your Docker image to the Amazon ECR registry
- Launching your web application
Mastering the building blocks of the cloud infrastructure
- Managing your stack with infrastructure as code: AWS CloudFormation
- Load-balancing requests to your containers: Amazon ALB
- Managing and running your containers: ECS and Fargate
- Configuring a custom domain name and HTTPS: Route 53 and Certificate Manager
- Storing and querying your data: RDS Aurora Serverless
- Monitoring and debugging: CloudWatch
- Running scheduled jobs (cron) in the background
Deploying your source code and infrastructure continuously
- Versioning your source code with Git: AWS CodeCommit
- Setting up a deployment pipeline: AWS CodeBuild
Choose a Learning Experience
You can read or watch Rapid Docker on AWS. Works on your Windows, MacOS, or Linux machine. Requires access to an AWS account.
- 100 pages + appendix
- DRM free PDF, EBUB, MOBI
- Examples (Apache License 2.0, packaged into a ZIP file)
- Constant updates of eBook and examples
Video Course (Early Access)
- ~2.5 hours of videos
- Watch via your browser
- Examples (Apache License 2.0, packaged into a ZIP file)
The Video Course is not done yet. Here is an overview of the current project status.
- ✅ chapter 1 (done)
- ✏️ chapter 2 (in progress)
- ⌛️ chapter 3 (to do)
- ⌛️ chapter 4
Which programming languages and frameworks are covered?
We provide examples for typical web applications written in:
- Ruby on Rails
- Python Django
- Java Spring Boot
- Node.js Express
Do you offer a money-back guarantee?
Of course, we are quite confident that Rapid Docker on AWS will add tons of value to your day to day work. However, if you are not happy, we will refund your order within the first week.
How do you implement Infrastructure as Code?
We use AWS CloudFormation. Doing so allows you to create the required cloud infrastructure within minutes. All examples build on our Open Source modules for CloudFormation: cfn-modules.
How do I purchace a corporate license?
If you want to purchase Rapid Docker on AWS for a group of colleagues we are happy to offer a corporate license. Please, contact us.
Are you offering on-site workshops as well?
Absolutely, we'd be happy to deliver a workshop getting your team up to speed with Docker on AWS. Please, contact us to discuss the details for an on-site workshop.
What does AWS infrastructure costs per month?
The pay-per-use pricing model makes it hard to predict the monthly costs upfront. The minimum configuration costs about $50/month.