AWS Weekly 2016-32
A quick summary of what happened in the AWS universe last week.
Please support our work!
We have published 327 articles, 41 podcast episodes, and 15 videos. It's all free and means a lot of work in our spare time.
Thanks to Alex DeBrie, e9e4e5f0faef, Goran Opacic, jhoadley, Thorsten Hoeger, Todd Valentine, Vince Fulco, and all anonymous supporters for your help! We also want to thank all supporters who purchased a cloudonaut t-shirt. It gives us great pleasure to send our t-shirts all over the world.
With your help, we can continue to produce independent & high-quality content focused on AWS. Please support us!Support us
- Expanding to Canada: new edge locations for CloudFront (CDN) in Montreal and Toronto.
- Announcing regional expansion of EC2 instance types: C4 in South America (Sao Paulo), D2 in US West (N. California)
- Updating runtime environment: PHP 7 is now available on AWS Elastic Beanstalk.
- Timothy Prickett Morgan on First, Kill All The Servers
- CloudFormation got even better: Supports AWS Certificate Manager, Service Auto Scaling in ECS, and enhances CloudFront and EFS support
- AWS is announcing Cost allocation tags for your Amazon CloudFront distributions
- Cloud Academy published 5 Insider Tips for AWS Recertification
- Building for failure: High Scalability wrote about 10 Gameday Failure Testing Scenarios From Obama For America
- We published how to Create a serverless RESTful API with the Serverless Framework
- Jeff Barr announced the AWS Serverless Chatbot Competition
- Big announcements during Werner’s keynote at AWS Summit in New York
- EBS snapshot prices reduced by 47% in all regions
- Increased maximum provisioned IOPS for EBS Volumes: 50 IOPS per GiB instead of 30 IOPS per GiB
- AWS is introducing the Application Load Balancer which allows load balancing on Layer 7: content-based routing, web sockets and HTTP/2, and improved metrics
- Another AWS Summit announcement: Limit access to your API Gateway with Usage Plans
- Great news: Kinesis Analytics is available for everybody allowing you to analyze streaming data with SQL.
- Must be 2016: S3 supports IPv6 all other services will follow.
- BYOK (Bring Your Own Keys): Key Management Service supports importing your keys now.
- Never underestimate the bandwidth of a FedEx truck: AWS announced a job management API as well as an S3 adapter for their Snowball data devices.
- Boring day without any news from the AWS community …
Please send me your favorite news and articles from AWS universe for our AWS Weekly!