AWS Weekly 2016-32
A quick summary of what happened in the AWS universe last week.
Monday, August 8
- Expanding to Canada: new edge locations for CloudFront (CDN) in Montreal and Toronto.
- Announcing regional expansion of EC2 instance types: C4 in South America (Sao Paulo), D2 in US West (N. California)
- Updating runtime environment: PHP 7 is now available on AWS Elastic Beanstalk.
Tuesday, August 9
- Timothy Prickett Morgan on First, Kill All The Servers
- CloudFormation got even better: Supports AWS Certificate Manager, Service Auto Scaling in ECS, and enhances CloudFront and EFS support
- AWS is announcing Cost allocation tags for your Amazon CloudFront distributions
- Cloud Academy published 5 Insider Tips for AWS Recertification
- Building for failure: High Scalability wrote about 10 Gameday Failure Testing Scenarios From Obama For America
Wednesday, August 10
- We published how to Create a serverless RESTful API with the Serverless Framework
- Jeff Barr announced the AWS Serverless Chatbot Competition
Thursday, August 11
- Big announcements during Werner’s keynote at AWS Summit in New York
- EBS snapshot prices reduced by 47% in all regions
- Increased maximum provisioned IOPS for EBS Volumes: 50 IOPS per GiB instead of 30 IOPS per GiB
- AWS is introducing the Application Load Balancer which allows load balancing on Layer 7: content-based routing, web sockets and HTTP/2, and improved metrics
- Another AWS Summit announcement: Limit access to your API Gateway with Usage Plans
- Great news: Kinesis Analytics is available for everybody allowing you to analyze streaming data with SQL.
- Must be 2016: S3 supports IPv6 all other services will follow.
- BYOK (Bring Your Own Keys): Key Management Service supports importing your keys now.
- Never underestimate the bandwidth of a FedEx truck: AWS announced a job management API as well as an S3 adapter for their Snowball data devices.
Friday, August 12
- Boring day without any news from the AWS community …
Please send me your favorite news and articles from AWS universe for our AWS Weekly!