AWS Weekly 2016-33
A quick summary of what happened in the AWS universe last week.
Please support our work!
We have published 327 articles, 41 podcast episodes, and 15 videos. It's all free and means a lot of work in our spare time.
Thanks to Alan Leech, Alex DeBrie, e9e4e5f0faef, Goran Opacic, jhoadley, Shawn Tolidano, Thorsten Hoeger, Todd Valentine, Vince Fulco, and all anonymous supporters for your help! We also want to thank all supporters who purchased a cloudonaut t-shirt. It gives us great pleasure to send our t-shirts all over the world.
With your help, we can continue to produce independent & high-quality content focused on AWS. Please support us!Support us
- Authorizing everything: Ben Rady (Author of Serverless Single Page Apps, Pragmatic Bookshelf) published The Real Revolution of Serverless is Auth, Not Microservices
- Controlling containers: ECS supports Networking Modes and Memory Reservation now
- Expanding service availability: EC2 Container Registry now available in US West (N. California), Asia Pacific (Singapore), Asia Pacific (Sydney), Asia Pacific (Tokyo), and EU (Frankfurt)
- Reducing latencies and increasing fault tolerance: AWS OpsWorks adds endpoints in the same region as your stack
- Talking serverless: Forrest Brazeal published an Interview with Florian Motlik from the Serverless Framework
- Mapping objects: AWS announced a data mapping abstraction for DynamoDB written in Ruby called aws-record
- Organizing resources: AWS increased the limit of tags per resource from 10 to 50
- Refreshing network basics: APN Blog is giving an introduction to AWS Networking for Developers
- Planning for DDoS: AWS updated the AWS Best Practices for DDoS
- Resolving names: AWS Compute Blog explains how to setup a secondary DNS in a VPC using Lambda and Private Hosted Zones
- Comparing costs: trek10 compares Lambda Pricing in Context
- Monitoring scaling infrastructures: AWS announced free and enhanced CloudWatch metrics for Auto Scaling Groups
- Analyzing your AWS bill: AWS announced ability to upload billing data directly to Redshift and QuickSight
- Expanding service availability: AWS Config is available in Asia Pacific (Singapore) and Asia Pacific (Sydney) now
- Ensuring connectivity: AWS Trusted Advisor adds checks to verify HA for Direct Connect
- Renting a virtual desktop for a short time: AWS announced Hourly pricing model for AWS WorkSpaces
- Advancing load balancing: AWS DevOps Blog introduces the Application Load Balancer
- Writing IAM Policies is hard: we announced our Complate IAM Reference
- Going serverless: TJ Holowaychuk has noted Do’s and Don’ts of AWS Lambda
- Setting up Continuous Delivery: we announced our CloudFormation template containing a Jenkins environment
Please send me your favorite news and articles from AWS universe for our AWS Weekly!