New CloudFormation Templates - Store your state
We help numerous clients to automate AWS with the help of CloudFormation. As you can imagine, we can reuse CloudFormation templates across clients. The template library comes with several advantages:
- Higher quality: we continuously improve the templates while they are used in production
- Increased speed: we can set up complex AWS infrastructures within hours
- Lower costs: we don’t have to start from scratch
We open-sourced parts of our template library in 2015: https://github.com/widdix/aws-cf-templates. Since then, we continuously added new templates and received contributions from the community.
Please support our work!
We have published 328 articles, 41 podcast episodes, and 15 videos. It's all free and means a lot of work in our spare time.
Thanks to Alan Leech, Alex DeBrie, e9e4e5f0faef, Goran Opacic, jhoadley, Shawn Tolidano, Thorsten Hoeger, Todd Valentine, Vince Fulco, and all anonymous supporters for your help! We also want to thank all supporters who purchased a cloudonaut t-shirt. It gives us great pleasure to send our t-shirts all over the world.
With your help, we can continue to produce independent & high-quality content focused on AWS. Please support us!Support us
Lately, I realized that a valuable category of templates was not part of the open-source library: Templates to store your state. Today, we released six new production-ready CloudFormation templates to store your state:
- RDS Aurora cluster
- RDS Postgres
- ElastiCache memcached
- Elasticsearch cluster
- S3 bucket
- DynamoDB table
All templates are production-ready. If no other limitations are documented, they are:
- Highly available: no single point of failure
- Scalable: increase or decrease the capacity based on utilization
- Frictionless deployment: deliver new versions of your application automatically without downtime
- Secure: using the latest operating systems and software components, follow the least privilege principle in all areas, backups enabled
- Operations friendly: provide tools for logging, monitoring and alerting to recognize and debug problems