New CloudFormation Templates - Store your state
We help numerous clients to automate AWS with the help of CloudFormation. As you can imagine, we can reuse CloudFormation templates across clients. The template library comes with several advantages:
- Higher quality: we continuously improve the templates while they are used in production
- Increased speed: we can set up complex AWS infrastructures within hours
- Lower costs: we don’t have to start from scratch
We open-sourced parts of our template library in 2015: https://github.com/widdix/aws-cf-templates. Since then, we continuously added new templates and received contributions from the community.
Level up, strengthen your AWS skills.
Our book Amazon Web Services in Action is a comprehensive introduction to computing, storing, and networking in the AWS cloud. You'll find clear, relevant coverage of all the essential AWS services, emphasizing best practices for security, high availability, and scalability. Get the first chapter for free!
Lately, I realized that a valuable category of templates was not part of the open-source library: Templates to store your state. Today, we released six new production-ready CloudFormation templates to store your state:
- RDS Aurora cluster
- RDS Postgres
- ElastiCache memcached
- Elasticsearch cluster
- S3 bucket
- DynamoDB table
All templates are production-ready. If no other limitations are documented, they are:
- Highly available: no single point of failure
- Scalable: increase or decrease the capacity based on utilization
- Frictionless deployment: deliver new versions of your application automatically without downtime
- Secure: using the latest operating systems and software components, follow the least privilege principle in all areas, backups enabled
- Operations friendly: provide tools for logging, monitoring and alerting to recognize and debug problems